Friday, March 31, 2006

A New Project!

After doing some swatching, I started a new sweater.



So far I have about 5 inches of the back done. I think this is going to be a very simple sweater. Simple shaping and a simple stitch pattern with few or no edgings. This is the first time I've made such a plain sweater. But I think it's something I'll wear a lot. I really like the stitch pattern. It is "wheat ear rib" from Barbara Walker's first Treasury of Knitting Patterns. It is from the ribbings chapter, so as you might expect it is very elastic in the horizontal direction. My plan is not to do any waist shaping, but instead let the stitch pattern stretch (or not) to fit my body. We'll see how it goes. And the yarn? It couldn't be softer. It's Jaeger DK weight extra fine merino. It is stash yarn, so I'm still working on decreasing the yarn volume. I hope it holds up well once I'm wearing the sweater, but it's so soft that I don't really have high hopes.

I've been noticing a theme in the colors I've been knitting with lately. Here are the four projects I'm working on right now. Clockwise from top left we have the Koigu socks, the Faroese hat, the Komi sweater, and the wheat ear rib sweater. Maybe I need to branch out a bit.

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I like that pattern! I think it will make a lovely sweater and the color will look great on you (possibly why it is a favorite? ;)).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home