Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A New Spindle

My knitting, lately, has been entirely uninspiring. I don’t really like any of the projects I’m working on. First, there’s the Komi sweater. It’s gone. I was about half-way through the body, and finally realized that I had been in denial about the size. If I really stretched it, I could make it look like the measurement around my chest would be 38 inches. But, in reality, it was a 34-inch sweater. That’s some serious negative ease for a sweater that should be loose. I’ve started over, but there isn’t much to see.

Then there’s the Faroese double-knit hat. It’s inching along, but the pattern on the main part of the hat is so boring that I have a hard time making myself work on it. It doesn’t look much different than it did last time I posted about it.

There’s also the socks I started during the Olympics. One and a quarter are done, but I’m having trouble finishing. Plain stockinette is not my favorite knitting.

There might be some swatching in the near future. I have ideas for two new sweaters. I might get a good project out of one of them, or I might get something else to take up a perfectly good pair of needles.

Spinning, on the other hand, has been much more fun. And a new spindle has recently joined my arsenal.


The whorl is jasper, and the shaft is hicory. Cathy can tell you if some if its siblings are still available.

It’s a tiny 0.4 oz spindle that I’m using to try to spin laceweight. The spinning is going OK (I’m having a little trouble drafting, but I’m getting better), but the plying is a disaster. I just can’t see what I’m doing! I think I need to get a magnifying glass or something. Here are a couple of samples I spun. Neither one is perfectly balanced or even. The top one is camel and the bottom one is merino. Hopefully I’ll have a decent skein of yarn (with a less blurry picture) to show you soon.

3 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous spindle!!! And the resulting yarn is lovely!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Practice makes perfect! When I ply pale laceweight, I do it in front of a huge window on a sunny day *and* use a magnifying glass. Sorry to hear the Komi hit frog pond!

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I ply I usually test for balance by letting a loop of yarn hang to see if it plies back on itself... easy to do with a spindle before winding on. BUt I'm sure you know that. I can't tell from your post if you think the plying is too tight, too loose, or just not even. Does sensing the tightness of the ply on your forefinger as you are spinning help? I hope you post more about this, because I like to spin laceweight too, though I haven't in a while...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home