Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Olympaholic

Blogger hasn't let me upload pictures for three days now. I hope you all have really good imaginations.
Edited to add: Blogger finally let me add the photos on my second try this afternoon!

I am addicted to the Olympics. I can’t seem to tear myself away from the television. I don’t usually watch any TV, so this is a big change in lifestyle. Fortunately it will all be over soon. You would probably think that all of this TV time would make for great knitting progress. However, because I’m not used to knitting in front of the TV I’m having trouble focusing on the sports and setting up the body patterning of my Komi sweater. Here’s what I have so far:




That means that I needed a simpler project. Here is what I ended up starting:



That is a toe-up sock made from Koigu and no particular pattern. The colors look pretty close to real life on my monitor.

I don’t usually knit socks. A long time ago (10-12 years ago?) I decided that I wanted to be sure that I could knit socks if I wanted to. So I knit a sock swatch with a heel and a toe. Then, a few years ago, my husband wanted kilt hose. I designed and knit some very pretty kilt hose for him. I’ve also made 4 or 5 Christmas stockings. That’s it for my sock knitting. Commercial socks fit me very well, and I tend to wear through them very fast. Sock knitting has never seemed quite worth it. Mittens, on the other hand, are very much my thing. They are small, portable, and interesting to knit. Unlike my feet, my hands are NOT an easy commercial size. I have very long fingers, but my hands are a normal circumference. I need a Men’s medium or large to accommodate my long fingers, but a women’s medium for the circumference. I do better by making them myself. Working on mittens was another reason not to knit socks.So why did I finally decide to make myself socks? A few years ago I bought three skeins of Koigu. I loved the colors, and wanted to make it into a scarf. After trying four times to make a scarf out of it, I gave up. I just wasn’t getting a fabric that seemed very scarf-ish. I’m trying to work down the stash, and I do really like the colors of the Koigu, so I decided to just make it into socks and be done with it. The only problem is that I’m really liking the sock so far. It is possible that I just might make more. After all, I do have quite a pile of mittens….

5 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Martha said...

I have to admit I was glued to the TV for the snowboard cross (snow derby!) and much of the cross-country skiing, but the figure skating has been a disappointment, thanks to the new scoring system. They've got to tweak that some more.

Now that I have knit myself some socks, I love them. They hug my foot so much better than commercial socks. I didn't realize I'd been wearing too-large socks all these years.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Komi and the sock look great! And so do the Emperor's new clothes, LOL.

I haven't watched a single second of the Olympics. I usually get kind of into it but haven't made the time this year.

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks look fantastic! And I don't have to imagine a photo because I've seen them in real life :).

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors of that sock. Gorgeous both on screen and in person.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Persnickety Knitter said...

I love that pattern on your Komi sweater. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home