Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Komi Pattern

I'm well on my way to having a pattern for my Komi sweater. I finished the swatch (two pattern repeats around, half a pattern repeat high),


I measured it (9 stitches and 9 rows per inch), I put safety pins into each color of yarn where it stopped being part of the swatch, and then I ripped it out. I used my trusty yard stick to measure how much of each color I used. I knit the equivalent of one full repeat of the pattern. I then fingured out how many repeats of the pattern I will need to make a sweater (71 repeats). I tried to estimate on the high side just to be sure I would have enough yarn to finish. In case you are interested (and in case you can actually read it), here is how I plan a sweater:

I am going to use the same colors I used in the swatch, except for the dark yellow/brown. I think it is not bright enough to contrast with the red, so it splits the pattern. Instead, I'm going to substitute a solid mustard color yarn. I'm just going to trust that it will work. If not, I'll have some ripping to do. I'm also going to switch where I do my color changes. I'm going to make the yellow color bands wide (9 rows of the solid mustard, 15 rows of the lighter yellow above), and the red bands thick and thin (21 rows of dark red, three rows of light red). I'm going to trust that this will work too.

It's time to order the new yarn color and get started!

5 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the autumnal palette, very warm. What does "Komi" mean?

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jofrog said...

It looks great, will it be a pullover or a cardigan. Will you knit it traditionally with steeks or do you have another trick up your sleeve? I can't wait to read more about this project!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

That's a great pattern. I look forward to seeing the progress on this one! I'm glad you are finding such fun projects for your stash yarn!

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress!

 
At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Dua Frey said...

Thanks foor writing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home