Wow! You all had a lot of different opinions about how the fish should be arranged. When I started knitting them, I had option #1 in mind. But, once they were done, I decided to go with option #3. I thought it had the most interest, and I liked how the two light colors ended up in the middle and on the corners.
The fish baby blanket is finished, but I'm not really happy with how it turned out.
This is the result after hand washing it, then machine washing it, then machine drying it. After hand washing (and still after machine washing) this blanket GREW! It grew to about twice its original size and looked horribly stretched out. Fortunately, the dryer shrunk it back to the two feet by three feet that I started with.
You can probably see that the fish on the top and bottom look a bit disfigured. I think it has something to do with the crocheted edging. Also, every single one of the fish heads puckers. I think that's because I crocheted the fish together too tightly. But it seemed very loose as I was doing it. I'm not really sure what went wrong or how I would make it better, but I don't like it the way it is. In any case, it will be mailed off tomorrow. The way I look at it, there isn't much I can do at this point, and really I just want it out.