Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fish Problems

I was all set to show you all 24 fish for the fish blanket completed and ready to be seamed. I had finished number 23, and I was well on my way with number 24. Then I ran out of yarn. I made six green fish, six yellow fish, and six light blue fish. And I had extra yarn left over in all of those colors. Then I tried to make six dark blue fish, and ended up here:



Why did I run out of yarn? I laid out fish of each color on top of each other, and this is what I found:

Their heads are all lined up. Look at their tails to see how much bigger some of them are.

Each color fish came out a different size. All the light blue fish are the same size, all the green fish are the same size, but each color is its own size. And the dark blue ones are the biggest of all. I used the same needle and the same yarn (except in different colors) for all of the fish. It could be that I knit at a different tension for each color (although I did mix up the order I knit them in), or it could be that the different colors of yarn are slightly different weights.

So what did I decide to do about this? Start ripping. I decided that the light blue, green and yellow fish are all close enough to the same size that a little blocking will fix any differences. But the dark blue ones are really significantly bigger. And besides, I don't want to buy another ball of yarn. After all, what am I going to do with an almost full ball of cascade 220 superwash? I don't even like superwash wool. The only time I knit with it is when I'm knitting for babies. Six more fish to go. This time, I'll knit a bit tighter.

4 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger handknit168 said...

fish mix and match.

My Blog
My on-line shop

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Emily! I think it's the differently-colored yarns - somehow they knit up differently!

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Jofrog said...

Yuck! I had that happen with one color of Debbie Bliss Merino DK. All of the others knit at 5.5 st/inch, but the grey knit at 5! Big difference in my book! Good for you for ripping them out. I would have taken the lazy approach and bought another ball of yarn!

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance the prewedding and postwedding lifestyle accounts for some of the difference in tension?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home