Thursday, February 09, 2006

Latvian Hat Pattern

In case anyone is interested, here's the pattern for my Latvian Hat. Please know that I am not a professional designer, and this pattern has not been test-knit. I don't think that there are any mistakes in it, but I won't know for sure until someone else knits it. This hat has now been knit by someone other than me. Look here (Ravelry) for a beautiful version knit in Dalegarn Baby Ull (a great fingering weight choice for hats). If you decide to knit this pattern, please let me know. I would love to know if it worked well for you, and to see how your hat turned out. Here is a picture of the finished hat (more pictures are available here):



Yarn: Satakieli, one ball yellow, one ball purple. You will need about half a ball of each color.
Gauge: 41 sts and 42 rows/4 inches in pattern
Needles: size 1 double pointed needles (I used a set of 6, but you could use as few as 4. If you use less than 6 needles, you may want to place markers between repeats.), and size 1 16-inch circular needle
Size: 22.5 inch circumference. The best way to adjust this is by changing the gauge.

Notes: In the chart below, marked squares are yellow, blank squares are purple. The dark line that outlines the bottom of the chart is the boundary of the pattern. Anything outside of that line is just extra graph paper. The chart will be repeated 5 times for the pattern. The first row of the chart is the cast-on.

Instructions:
With yellow, Cast-on 5 stitches. Join and divide stitches over 3-5 double pointed needles to knit in the round.
Row 1: With yellow, knit in the front, back, then front of each stitch.
Row 2-36: Continue to follow the chart. All increases are made by knitting in the front and back of the first and/or last stitch on the needle.
Rows 37-75: Change to circular needle and knit even, following the chart as established.
Row 75: Knit 1 purple, knit 1 yellow around while decreasing 22 stitches evenly spaced.
Row 76: Bring both colors to the front. Purl 1 purple, Purl 1 yellow always bringing the new color OVER the other one. This will cause your working yarns to become very twisted. Pull out enough yarn so that you can push the twist away from you. Do NOT untwist the strands yourself.
Row 77: With both colors in the front, purl 1 purple, purl 1 yellow always bringing the new color UNDER the other one. This will untwist your working yarns.
Row 78: Knit with purple.
Row 79: Knit 1 purple, knit 1 yellow around.
Rows 80-81: Repeat row 77, then repeat row 76.
Cast off with purple.


11 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern! The hat is lovely and looks like a really interesting knit. I'm determined to finish a few projects before starting anything new but this might be my next new project.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'll have to add that to my "to do" list. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Woman who knits said...

Wow! What a great hat. It looks so wonderful.I must try it now!

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hat is wonderful and I will add it on my wish-knitting-list, thank you for sharing this great pattern.
Greetings from Germany
Angelika

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I will definitely have to knit this. Thanks for the pattern.

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou for such an interesting pattern :) Am looking forward to trying it.

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Judy Porter said...

I'm trying to knit this great hat. I'm finding the actual pattern difficult to fully understand and follow. I have ripped it out countless times. Each time I learn something that wasn't clear in the pattern. I am determined to knit it. I consider myself an experienced knitter. Any others having a problem knitting this hat? I can't find a comment from anyone who has actually knit.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knitted this pattern some time ago and found that it didn’t work very well. I am an experienced knitter but found that I had to adapt the pattern to make a wearable hat although it is a rather retro effect. It was a lot of work for something that has not been worn much

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger maria said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger maria said...

I love this hat! I think there is a mistake in row 63 however. The second stitch should be purple.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger maria said...

Oh same for 65 :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home