Thursday, January 05, 2006

I ran out

It turns out I had less of the purple yarn for my hat than I thought. This is how far I got:



I've finished the crown, and done a few rows of the straight part of the hat. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I think there might be too many increases too fast. There is more fabric than would be necessary to make the crown flat. Does anyone have any opinions about how this will make the hat look on my head? I have an idea in my head that when I wear this hat on my curved head which will push the fabric up and out, it will all lay flat. But I could be totally wrong. This wouldn't be the first time I totally messed up on the garment shaping front.

In order to find out how this will turn out, I'll have to order another skein of the purple yarn. However, I really REALLY need to decrease the volume of my stash. By most people's standards I don't have a big stash, but most people don't share 455 square feet with another person (who also has space-consuming hobbies). The yarn I need to buy comes in 100g skeins. Before I can add that 100g to the yarn collection, I first need to knit at least 200g of yarn that is already there. If I continue this plan for a while, hopefully I'll decrease the yarn volume AND get to buy the yarn I want.

Next up: a hat and mittens using Manos del Uruguay. This is the closest my stash comes to bulky. My new plan is going to get harder to stick to once I use up my small supply of thicker yarns.

5 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on what you describe, I think the hat will lay flat on your head. But, you've got a lot of knitting to do before you'll be able to find out!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Margot said...

Could you check the fit by transferring the stitches to waste yarn?

I agree that it will probably lay flat, but it would be nice to know for sure before knitting some more.

It's lovely.

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, go in order - use up the thicker stuff first, and your stash will be petite in no time :). Hat looks pretty good, but I understand your hesitation about ordering more yarn.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Jofrog said...

I agree with Margot, waste yarn is your friend!

Good luck!

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on the waste yarn (or a couple of longer circs). Or fit it on a balloon! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home