Sunday, January 21, 2007

New Mittens!

As my first semester teaching ended, I started knitting again. It was a really tough semester, and I'm really glad it is over. Second semester starts tomorrow, and I'm hoping it will be a lot better. I now know what kind of background these students have, and how much they are willing to work. That's a good start to making this semester go more smoothly.

I haven't been knitting much, and the time I have spent knitting has been spread across several projects. It seems like every time I sit down to knit, I want to start something new. However, we spent a week with my husband's family, and I only brought a few projects with me. And I actually managed to finish something!




I made the double-knit hat last winter, but I didn't have any mittens that really went with it. So I didn't wear the hat much. I had some yarn left over from the hat (less than 50g each of the red Heilo and grey Peer Gynt), and I thought there might be enough for a pair of mittens. I knit both mittens at once, from opposite ends of the balls of yarn. After ripping and reknitting the tops and thumbs a few times, I finally came up with a pattern I had enough yarn for. In the end, I had about 4 inches of red yarn left. Just enough to weave in the ends!

I would have liked the thumb to be a little more similar to the rest of the mittens, but there wasn't enough red yarn to make that happen. However, I like the mittens, and I'm now wearing the hat/mittens combo often. Success!

(no, there isn't a pattern for either the hat or mittens written up. I might write one later, but it's looking unlikely.)

6 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hat and mittens! They are so cheerful and look very soft.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the next semester!

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I found you on Grumperina's, who sent folks to look at your latvian hat. Had to book mark it, and hope to make it for a latvian friend, or her daughter. Who are in upstate NY. Where I used to live. Where are you? Good luck in your new semester. It's booger freezin cold here...how's it there?

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work! A hat knit top down would be fun to try!

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I also found you on Grumperina's site. Great hat and mittens. Well worth your ripping and reknitting efforts.

Re: second semester... I am not sure if you are teaching children or young adults, but either way, the second semester will be easier.

I've been teaching for 17 years. I started with first graders, and now I teach freshmen in college. Some things never get easier... the amount of time grading takes for English teachers, for example. But do give yourself some time off. Too many of us burn out because the job and needs of our students consume us. So, do give yourself some TLC and knitting time...it will make even the bad semesters easier.

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the hat and mittens! And I hope next semester is easier on you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home