As my first semester teaching ended, I started knitting again. It was a really tough semester, and I'm really glad it is over. Second semester starts tomorrow, and I'm hoping it will be a lot better. I now know what kind of background these students have, and how much they are willing to work. That's a good start to making this semester go more smoothly.
I haven't been knitting much, and the time I have spent knitting has been spread across several projects. It seems like every time I sit down to knit, I want to start something new. However, we spent a week with my husband's family, and I only brought a few projects with me. And I actually managed to finish something!
I made the double-knit hat last winter, but I didn't have any mittens that really went with it. So I didn't wear the hat much. I had some yarn left over from the hat (less than 50g each of the red Heilo and grey Peer Gynt), and I thought there might be enough for a pair of mittens. I knit both mittens at once, from opposite ends of the balls of yarn. After ripping and reknitting the tops and thumbs a few times, I finally came up with a pattern I had enough yarn for. In the end, I had about 4 inches of red yarn left. Just enough to weave in the ends!
I would have liked the thumb to be a little more similar to the rest of the mittens, but there wasn't enough red yarn to make that happen. However, I like the mittens, and I'm now wearing the hat/mittens combo often. Success!
(no, there isn't a pattern for either the hat or mittens written up. I might write one later, but it's looking unlikely.)