Monday, March 26, 2007

Fuzzy Feet and North Country Culture

There's a project I never blogged about this winter because I finished it in one day. I finally made a pair of Fuzzy Feet from Knitty.

I have a really nice warm pair of slippers, so I never thought to make these, but they are perfect for North Country winters. There really isn't anywhere to go out to here, so we end up spending a lot of time at friends' houses. Winters are very cold and snowy, so we are always wearing boots, and our boots are always covered with snow and sand/salt. So as soon as we get to someone's house, we take off our shoes. But people here don't heat their houses very much (the average indoor temp here is probably somewhere around 55 degrees F, and basements stay around 35-45 degrees, so floors are cold). So most people bring slippers with them when they go to someone's house. Fuzzy Feet are perfect because I can stick them in my jacket pockets or in my purse, and don't need to carry a separate bag for them. These were made exactly according to the pattern, out of Brown Sheep worsted weight wool/mohair. I bought the yarn at my "LYS*", because somehow I didn't have anything in the stash that would work.

* My "LYS" is actually a pretty small craft store, that sells everything from rubber stamps to a very small selection of quilting supplies, but they do have a whole aisle of yarn. That yarn is not organized in any particular way, and you really need to dig around, but if you look hard enough I think you could usually find at least two matching skeins of just about anything they sell. It will work for small purchases of basic wool, but I think the internet is still my main yarn store.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Those do look wonderfully warm and cozy. I like the tradition of BYOS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home