Saturday, April 14, 2007

New Sweaters!

I finally have pictures of my Hand-to-Hand Aran and my red sweater!

Here's the Hand-to-Hand Aran:

And here's the red sweater:

I think these might be the first two sweaters I have knit since starting this blog. I tend to knit sweaters in pairs, and I often finish a pair of sweaters in the early spring. I'm not quite sure what that means, but there you have it.

The Hand-to-Hand Aran fits well, and is the type of sweater I will wear a lot. It is a very "me" kind of sweater. I think I might add a couple more inches to the length of the sweater, because I am constantly pulling it down. But that's easy to do since the body was knit from the top down.

I'm not sure if I like the red sweater or not. If I made it again, I think I would make it a bit narrower. And the V-neck is a lot lower than what I usually wear. I think my main problem with it is that I feel fat when I'm wearing it. I wore it to work yesterday, but I'm not sure how many times I will actually wear it in the future. Time will tell.

Here's the details:

Hand-to-Hand:
Worsted weight coned yarn from WEBS, knit on size 8 needles. I used just a bit over a pound of yarn.
This was based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Hand-to-Hand Aran sweater. I took her general idea, and made some modifications:
1. I knit the sleeves in the round instead of knitting them flat and seaming.
2. I made the sleeves much narrower than what the pattern called for. This gave me less stitches to use for yoke patterning, but made the sweater fit the way I wanted it to.
3. I added waist shaping.
I was amazed by how fast this sweater knit up. Plain stockinette in the round zips right by!

Red Sweater:
Knit with Jaeger Merino and size 6 needles. I love this yarn. It was a pleasure to knit with, and I think that it will hold up well.
The stitch pattern is somewhere back in my archives, but comes from one of Barbara Walker's books. I made up the pattern as I went along, and ended up surprised by how well it came together.
I love this yarn. It was a pleasure to knit with, and I think that it will hold up well.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it might just be the photography, but I have to tell you that I think the red sweater looks *fabulous* on you! Great job! (Not that the Aran isn't beautiful, but when I read your review I felt the need to jump in on the red sweater's behalf.) LOL!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger JenniferB said...

Congratulations! Visiting from Zimmermania. I love both of your sweaters and hope you wear them both often. Great job.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new sweaters. The hand-to-hand one is gorgeous!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Both sweaters look great! I especially love the hand-to-hand one.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Renee said...

I'm popping in from Zimmermania too/ I really like your hand to hand! I've been eyeing that one. and I like your version even more. It's more polished looking.

I see you're in the north country; me too, Im up near Potsdam. And really really ready for nice weather.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The side-to-side Aran is wonderful! It looks great on you, and in general strikes me as a very wearable and flattering pattern!

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visiting from Zimmermania. Those sweaters are gorgeous on you! Love the cabling.

 
At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, I'm also popping in from the Zimmermania board... I love both sweaters... I don't think you look fat at all in the red sweater...

Isn't stockinette in the round soothing :)??? I just love to do it, so that's probably why most of my socks are plain stockinette hehehe.

Cheers Eva

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Jofrog said...

They both look great! The Hand to Hand sweater is very you, and the V neck on the red one is very flattering. Yeah for continued cold weather. ;-)

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your hand-to-hand! I have had Knitting Workshop for nearly a year now and have always passed it by... but I have to say, you have totally changed my mind about it! Great job!

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous in both sweaters! Now I have to go check out that EZ sweater because it is also my type of sweater.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger June said...

I'm putting in a vote for the red sweater. I know that the h-t-h sweater is more your style, but yay for you for trying something different! The V-neck is not LOW-low, it's sexy! Congrats on finishing 2 big projects!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Nonna Rose said...

Both your sweaters are gorgeous. I love the color red and adore the hand to hand sweater....maybe I should consider blending the two! Great job.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Those sweaters are both super-gorgeous and look great on you, but I adore the hand-to-hand. Yummy. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home