Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I couldn't wait

I looked at this shawl with its 5 leaves of border left to go, and I couldn't let it sit unfinished. So I knit all 5 of those leaves. When I got to the end, I remembered a little mistake I had made at the beginning that I didn't go back and correct. Instead of doing a provisional cast-on so that I could just graft the end of the border to the beginning, I did a regular cast on.

This means that the grafting was a bit harder than it should have been. And it didn't come out as well as I would have liked it to. I'm sure you can tell which leaf has the join.

But hopefully when I'm wearing the shawl, and people are looking at it from more of a distance, it won't be too obvious.

I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to block the border. If I leave it pinned out in the living room, it won't be a secret project any more. It might have to wait until the night before the wedding.

5 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations on finishing your wedding shawl! It's beautiful and will be such a wonderful heirloom. The join is barely noticeable and I doubt anyone will be looking for flaws in the shawls on your wedding day.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you insane? :D No one is going to notice the graft!!! I promise!

And at the risk of giving unasked for advice, I would recommend that you just borrow a friend's place for blocking and do it sooner rather than later. The night before your wedding may be very busy - tying up loose ends of wedding prep, meet-and-greeting with friends and family who came the night before, etc. Plus, I know you're cool as a cuke, but emotions will be running high the entire weekend. Sometimes blocking is stressful b/c of unexpected results... Well, that may only be in my experience (sigh).

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's impossible to tell which leaf has the graft to the untrained eye! No one will notice, really! It's gorgeous, can't wait to see the blocked finished shawl!

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The finished shawl is absolutely amazing! No one but you will be able to see the join.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure which leaf has the join and I'm staring at a close up picture! It looks great. I hope that your wrist is feeling alright,

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home